[英語練習本] Something About Me

         I immigrated to the United States from Taiwan with my parents and younger sister three years ago.  The summer of 1999 was my first time to go abroad, to live in a foreign city, and to study outside of my country.  I had never been in America until my family got the immigrated visa.  My parents' decision to come to America forced me to drop my university education halfway, and needed to be restarted at here.   I was not happy for this, and felt insecure in the beginning.  I had waited for not a short time for applying school, and settled down everything little by little.  I cannot say everything went through smoothly in the past few years, but so far, everything is fine.



         This is my sixth semester for studying in Georgia Perimeter College.  I was majored in Library and Information Science when I was in the university of Taiwan.  It is one of my favorite subjects, but unfortunately, the major is only offered in graduate school in America.  Therefore, I needed to change my major when I started my education here.  Currently, I am a journalism major student in Georgia Perimeter College and plan to concentrate on telecommunication when I transfer to four-year university later.  Mass Communication is another subject that I am also interested in.  I hope I can finish my bachelor degree soon and get a job in the field of TV and broadcasting either in America or in Taiwan.     



        Although I have been here almost three years, I don't think my English is good enough.  It is the true feeling from my heart.  When I was in Taiwan, teachers and classmates always said that I was very good at English; however, I just liked to check dictionary when some English words I didn't know came up my mind.  After I came to here, there is more and more chance I can communicate with my cousin in English e-mail.  She also says my English skill is improving.  I don't feel that way, either.  Every time someone says, "your English is good," every time I think that I don't deserve it.  



        I know I still need to increase my listening, speaking, reading, and writing ability.  I also know there is something I need to overcome, especially in the writing part.  This semester will be my third time to take the Regents' Test.  I felt I would fail when I took it in the first and second time.  I had the same situation when I was in that test.  As long as I got the topic, my brain would become blank, totally empty, and didn't know how to work on my essay properly.  My friends who have the same background as mine told me it is easy to take the test.  However, every time I take the test, every time I am afraid that I blow it.  



        I wish somebody could tell me where my problems are, and the solution to overcome it.  I don't exclude from writingin English, but I would like to write something with no pressure.  I can write to my friends in English frequently, because I don't have any pressure on it.  However, I still view writing an essay for test or something as some kinds of pressure.  Maybe that also is the reason for me to fail the test.



        To be honest, this probably will be my last semester in Georgia Perimeter College.  I entered here before Fall 2000, therefore I am required to take the writing test only.  If I don't pass the test before I transfer, it is possible to me to take both reading and writing test after I transfer to another university.  Therefore, I really hope I can pass the test this semester.  I am also glad that I have the chance to take the preparation class in this semester.   I really want to learn something to improve my skill and show to myself that I can make it.  





留言

  1. 哈囉~!你好

    真是不好意思

    我想問一下...

    這一篇文章是你自己打的嗎?

    回覆刪除
  2. 意思是你是讀過Georgia Perimeter College囉!!

    太好了~因為我現在剛好也要申請這間學校的夏季班

    可是我不知道怎樣申請

    不知道可以不以麻煩妳跟我說一下妳當時是如何申請的?

    然後那學校好像有PLCEMENT TEST那是要再辦完申請手續在考嗎?



    謝謝妳~因為我自己研究老半天了還是弄不清楚

    回覆刪除
  3. 嗯嗯嗯

    有~謝謝妳~~

    你真的很親切!!!

    Application Form有開放線上報名

    所以我那些資料填完

    自己在用郵寄把我的其他資料寄去就可以了

    需要讀書計畫嗎?



    還有還有SUNO冰室的冰很不賴~=]

    回覆刪除
  4. 嗯嗯..其實我有嘗試著打電話去詢問

    可是對方講話好快

    我自己的英文程度也不是那麼好

    掛完電話之後整個就只有沮喪能形容

    我今天想了想還有幾個問題想問一下:

    所以placement test是在deadline過後學校才會通知嗎?

    要上esl是依照PLACEMENT TEST決定的還是托福考?

    esl的課程是直街包括在一般課程裡面嗎?還是說要等esl上完才能開始上

    一般課程?





    suno就在我現在住的附近

    上次還有店員不小心多做了一份 所以就送我們了 =]

    回覆刪除
  5. 我剛剛有跑去看了

    是說要等我考完placement test才能決定能讀什麼囉~?

    本來有打算等確定能入學到開學之前回一趟台灣

    但是如果它的考試安排在這中間可能就不行回去了

    哎呀呀~看來只能隨緣~~~



    哈哈,還真是謝謝妳每次的回答!!

    妳不回來亞特蘭大了嗎?



    很大間的韓國超市..是不是指南大門??

    回覆刪除
  6. 雖然家人都在台灣

    但我也不算是完全都一個人

    因為有親戚也在ATLANTA住了快20年

    而我自己勒~也暫住在阿姨家一年多的時間了

    呵~其實我應該先找認識的人幫忙才對

    可是我又彆扭的不知道怎麼開口才會自己在這邊著急

    今天有請表哥星期一幫我打電話問看看

    唉~其實很想靠自己找資料的

    不想什麼都沒做只能靠別人

    不過~事實好像證明我的能力有限 還是需要有人幫助



    然後除了學校之外

    如果有被錄取的話就又要開始找房子搬家

    沒被錄取的話勒可能就要捲舖蓋回老家吧~!

    哈哈~不管那麼多了~~ 事情總是都會有解決的方法對吧





    我有印象!!是不是有一個大大的紅色K的那家

    我到這邊那麼久~好像還沒有試過韓式的炸醬麵

    嘖嘖~改天一定要試看看!!

    我喜歡TOFU屋裡面的海鮮煎餅^+++^

    回覆刪除
  7. 哈~上一则還沒打完就自動送出去了

    是阿是阿彆扭的勒...尤其是住在親戚家

    天天見面也不知道聊什麼lol

    也對也對要趕快有自己的社交圈

    最近要去考駕照筆試

    我的交通規則還沒讀完

    腦袋裡面看了又忘沒有什麼概念Orz

    台灣人長老教會?

    你是指在DULUTH的嗎?

    我有聽過在DULUTH有個台灣人的教會聽說在裡面都是台語的天下!





    對!!它就叫做K-MART...

    回覆刪除
  8. 考中文法規

    我現在讀的那一本裡面沒有中文出現LOL



    我有跟表姊去過一個華人教會

    (聽說是亞特蘭大最大的華語教會)

    不過只有去過2次左右

    以前再台灣的時候都只有聖誕節跟同學跑去教會湊熱鬧

    還沒有真正去瞭解

    等學完開車之後我也可以東跑西看了,呵呵!





    對了,讀GPC兩年之後轉校好轉嗎?

    回覆刪除
  9. 那我就放心了

    哈~我老媽一直希望我能直接就讀GUA

    可能覺得那樣才能算是真正的大學吧

    不過我是想說如果沒什麼多大的不一樣

    能省錢又可以拿學分

    一兼二顧 摸蛤仔兼洗褲也是不錯~

    轉學的話還需要托福成績嗎?



    那後來怎麼換地方了??是因為太多人嗎?

    等我"學校""駕照""房子"這些事情穩定之後

    也想去教會看看~!!

    哈哈...希望這夏天會有好的開始!!!

    回覆刪除
  10. 呵呵~也對也對...

    在台灣的話可能就有進公立大學的機會了

    (只是...在美國好像私立的比公立還要難進lol)



    好阿!那我先謝謝妳了

    那如果以後還有問題可以在問妳嗎?

    真的很高興可以遇到你這樣親切的人 =]

    回覆刪除
  11. 我在4/1當天去注射疫苗,打完針以後又馬上趕去學校繳交文件

    4/2考PLACEMENT TEST那個數學真的很簡單!!!

    本來還有點擔心久沒算數學了,哈哈~結果應該有全對~!!

    這兩天還要去辦理其他的要把 out of state 改成in state

    忙忙忙~~!!

    對了,我是選擇DUNWOODY校區

    那附近的房子似乎很貴LOL

    回覆刪除
  12. 哈哈

    我會多多注意~

    謝謝妳的情報資源



    不過~

    為什麼我打一針要100~!!!

    ($95.00疫苗費用+$5.00證明一張)

    可能是我沒保險吧Orz

    回覆刪除
  13. 是阿是阿~台灣看病真的便宜很多

    之前我有再牙醫診所打工過

    拔個智齒連掛號費都不用付(員工有特權)



    在這邊的話我聽說是THOUSAND起跳



    對了

    我申請學校是不是要連我國中的成績單也一起寄??

    這兩天學校銀行兩邊跑

    補辦了很多東西

    結果還是有一堆東西遺漏掉ˊˋ

    回覆刪除
  14. advisor?是指GPC裡面的人員嘛?

    我想我禮拜一應該要再跑一次學校問清楚我到底少了什麼東西

    打電話問都問不出個東西ˊˋ

    我看了我的Admissions Checklist / Status裡面HS Transcript with

    Graduation是Outstanding



    outstanding按下去它說:

    1. Have all transcripts or test scores sent directly to your

    home address. Do not open them when

    received.

    2. Send this request form to all previous universities,

    colleges, or high schools you have attended

    (copy form as needed). Some schools may require a fee.

    3. If you received the GED, an official score report must be

    submitted. If your high school class

    would have graduated within the past five (5) years, an official

    high school transcript of the course

    work you completed is required.

    4. The date of graduation must appear on the high school

    transcript.



    這是不是說我要請我高中學校填一張表格

    然後再請它們把我的畢業證書和成績單寄過來美國?

    回覆刪除

張貼留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

[Diary] 960629.病人的錢,真好賺...

[我的懷舊日劇] 1992.愛的競走 (ポールポジション!愛しき人へ...)

♪[珍食] 南機場夜市.永和藥燉排骨